Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have numerous new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of individuals the chance to decrease or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and quick way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be pleased with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser center. Pick the doctor, not the laser center. Discover out who will actually do your treatment, then inquire about that medical professional's certifications (e.g., site link board certification, special training).
3. Select a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Discover another one if your physician won't inform you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The finest cosmetic surgeon on the planet can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of millions of people all over the world.